Booking.com Junior Software Engineer
Junior Software Engineer II - September 2023 start (Amsterdam)
Full Time Position
About Booking.com Compass
We know you’ve just started navigating your career journey. And we’re here to help. We promise it’s going to be wild (in a good way). We’re a company of travel-obsessed, super smart, dedicated people who work to make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We’re the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
More about Booking.com Compass.
About the Program
We are excited about this 15-month program within our Accommodations, Central Technology, Fintech and Trips Business Units. This program will provide an excellent foundation for graduates to develop their skills and have a significant impact on our mission to make it easier for everyone to experience the world, building and improving great products for both travelers and for our accommodation partners.
As a Junior Software Engineer II at Booking.com, you will be a fully-fledged, permanent team member, and will work alongside experienced professionals responsible for the design & delivery of services and products to offer customers the best selection of properties and rooms.
The Junior Software Engineer II will be guided and supported throughout the program with a dedicated mentor, onboarding bootcamp, learning journey and opportunities to develop world-leading technical expertise through placements and exposure across a number of teams within the engineering business unit. Junior Software Engineer II will grow to a Software Engineer I role upon successful completion of the program.
This is a unique opportunity to launch your professional career and learn great software engineering principles and working practices at the world’s number one travel company.
- Collaborate with the team and wider Engineering organization to build and deliver high quality solutions and take ownership in line with guidance and best practices of the department
- Adhere to the default principles for Architecture, quality and non-functional requirements
- Develop reusable libraries and code that are easy to maintain, understand and re-use
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and be able to apply these to a variety of projects as applicable, contributing to the evolution of best practices of the department
- Write, review and take responsibility for clear, concise and comprehensive technical documentation
- Supporting live products in a DevOps environment.
- You are a 2022/2023 graduate with a Bachelor or Masters in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field STEM-field; or you have completed relevant third-level study (e.g. Coding Bootcamp, HBO)
- Familiar with API design and automated testing
- Know that KISS, SOLID and DRY are not just the random words
- Can demonstrate critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong communicator and really enjoy working in the team
- Must be within commuting distance of Amsterdam or willing to relocate (international relocation support provided)
- Ownership of your work and a great technical challenge
- Clear and structured career pathway, with the opportunity to promote to Software Engineer I upon completion of the program
- World class training & development, including in Java and professional growth in building software applications, software system design, technical incident management and architectural guidance
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world-renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance-driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
- Our company culture and work environment continues to flourish digitally with an array of business updates, well-being programs, hackathons, virtual coffee catch-ups and events to get to know your teams, webinars and more. This new reality has only made our teams closer as we unite to fulfil our mission.
- 29 days’ paid holiday plus bank holidays
- Great discounts on accommodation, car rentals and other group benefits